Tell us your love story!
We met back in 2010 at the University of Georgia. At that time, Desiree started working in the lab that Kate worked in. During that time their friendship blossomed over their love of music and animals. Their time working together came to a close as Desiree started veterinary school and Kate moved to Minneapolis. We continued to keep in touch and we both started to realize how much we loved each other. During a visit back to Georgia, Desiree professed her "in like" with Kate after a late night Wendy's run post drag show. I know, SO romantic!
What about the proposal?
Kate was planning on proposing on the Oregon coast at a place that we always would visit with a beautiful view of the ocean, but there was a rock slide so her plans were side tracked and she had to improvise. So we went to a different trail and Kate proposed in the middle of a marsh with a hand drawn comic of the story of us. It turned out there was a beautiful view point a half a mile down the trail!
Going into the wedding planning, what did you definitely know?
We knew we wanted to have a blast with our guests! We also knew we wanted some different touches (giant jenga guest book and the tarot card reader).
What surprised you during planning?
Thanks to Natalia, our wedding planner, we were completely prepared and had no big surprises and were able to get everything done just the way we wanted.
Is there anything you wish you knew while you were planning your wedding that you know now?
I would say that being open is the most important thing.
Any advice for couples planning weddings now?
Enjoy it! It goes by so quick! Don't worry about trying to talk to everyone. They will come to you. We did a few things differently and are really glad we did:
1. We had a house where our wedding party stayed and we did as well the night of the wedding. It was so nice to go back with our closest friends and relive the night all sitting in the bed and opening presents.
2. We had everyone get ready at the same place with Kate and her party upstairs and Desiree and her party downstairs. This was fantastic because we were still all in one place but we could really easily communicate and the bridal party could go back and forth. We also had food delivered for everyone for lunch/pre-wedding food. This was so easy and everyone really loved being able to just grab a bag lunch and hang out.
3. Desiree built our backdrop, it was a HUGE source of stress but it turned out better than we could have expected. If you're going to do something by hand for the wedding, I would really suggest having it completed at least 2 months before so that you can take it with you to final run throughs and make sure all the small details are going to work out.
4. Always have a back up plan!
5. We shortened our dances to about 1 minute each, we had great feedback from our guests on that.
What was your favorite part of your wedding day?
I don't think there was any one part that was our favorite. The entire weekend was everything we could have wanted.
- Photography By Jessica Hill Photography
- Planning By Bridal Bliss
- Dessert By Cupcake Jones
- Florals By Blum Floral Design
- Calligraphy By Letters & Dust
- Rentals By Something Borrowed
- & The Party Place
- Makeup By Sara Biria
- Officiant By A Beautiful Ceremony NW
- Bride's Dress By Anna's Bridal
- Catering By Pearl Catering
- Venue By Urban Studio
- DJ & Photo Booth By Chad Dowling Productions